WE ARE THE PROUD RECIPIENTS OF THE ISO 9001 and ISO/IEC 27001 CERTIFICATE
ISO 9001 is the international standard for a quality management system. A quality management system is an ongoing process that involves the continuous improvement of services with the highest quality. The quality management system, in accordance with the provisions of the SIST EN ISO 9001: 2008 standard, enables transparency of operations, goal management, process management, professionalism of work, satisfaction of customers and employees, and the reputation and visibility.
On 24 October 2011, we passed the first certification and on 21 October 2014 and 19 September 2017 recertification assessment of the faculty management system according to the requirements of the ISO 9001 standard. We are proud of the fact that our faculty is one of the 25% of organizations that in 2017 successfully completed the transition to the new standard of quality management system according to ISO 9001: 2015. We decided to get certified mainly because the faculty implements Quality Management programs and because we wanted to prove our credibility through the introduction of modern approaches to our work.
ISO / IEC 27001 is an international standard that contains requirements related to the Information Security Management System. The information represents an important asset for FOŠ, which has its own value and needs to be adequately protected, regardless of the form and method of storage. The basic task of protecting information and the information system is to ensure confidentiality, integrity and availability, which is essential for maintaining competitiveness, profitability, legality and the trust and reputation of FOŠ.
In 2014, we upgraded our existing quality management system according to ISO 9001 with the requirements of ISO / IEC 27001 and on 21 October 2014 and on 19 September 2017 passed the certification assessment of the information security management system and thus became the first faculty in Slovenia to introduced the requirements of ISO / IEC 27001.
In 2020, we extended the validity of both certificates for another three years.
Continuous Improvement as a Commitment by the Leadership of FOS
FOS recognizes its mission in education and knowledge transfer of which quality is the decisive foundation towards excellence in all areas. To achieve this mission and contribute to a knowledge based society, we would like to integrate the principles of contemporary paradigms of quality and excellence into our daily work routines. The system of leadership at FOS is based on the fundamentals of the new organizational paradigm:
- Focus on customers (students). At FOS we realize that customers are the primary reason for our existence. For this reason we try to understand and anticipate their needs and expectations, striving to innovate and create value for our students
- Achieving balanced results. FOS implements its mission and progress towards its vision with planning and achieving a balanced array of results that meets the short and long term needs of our stakeholders and when appropriate to exceed them.
- Leadership with vision, inspiration and integrity. FOS wants to have leaders that co-create our future, to realize and be an example of our values and ethics.
- Management by processes. Management at FOS is conducted in structural and strategically coordinated processes and decisions based on facts that creates balanced and sustainable results.
- Achieving success with employees. FOS values its employees and creates a culture of empowerment to achieve balanced goals of our organization and employees.
- Encouraging creativity and innovation. At FOS we try to generate greater value anda higher level of business results with consistent and systematic innovations and exploiting our stakeholder’s creativity.
- Creating partnerships. FOS seeks, develops, and maintains relationships based on trust with various partners and seeks to ensure mutual success. Such partnerships are established with consumers, society, key suppliers, educational institutions or non-governmental organizations (NGOs).
- Taking responsibility for a sustainable future. FOS incorporates into its culture a code of ethics, clear values and the highest standards of its actions. This allows us to strive for economic, social and environmental sustainability.
Long-Term Plans in Improving Quality at FOS
The route of FOS's quality is firmly based on the long-term plan to improve the quality that we have developed and presented in 2008 in the accreditation of our institute.
In the first phase we implemented in 2010 the self-assessment in accordance with the criteria identified by the National Commission for Quality in University and Other Higher Education (NKKVŠ) that evaluates institutions, study programmes and scientific research, artistic and professional work. This was followed by a very important phase in creating FOS's strategic plan for the period of 2009-2014. Simultaneously we started with initial activities in integrating requirements of the ISO 9001 standard that within two years led FOS to obtain the certificate of quality.
In the next stage we will carry out the integration of the remaining requirements of the EFQM excellence models. We will carry this out in steps, where the initial approach will be self-assessment with a questionnaire, then the approach of writing and completing the application for the PRSPO award (the business excellency award in the Republic of Slovenia). After several years of participation in the national award for excellency, FOS will be a candidate for the European Quality Award (EQA).
Long-term plan of improving quality at FOS:
|Step||Activities||Year of implementation|
|1||Self-evaluation in accordance with NKKVŠ||X|
|2||Defining the strategic plan and values of the organizational culture of FOS||X||X|
|3||Certificate of quality ISO 9001||X||X|
|4||Self-assessment in accordance to EFQM||X||X||►|
|5||Writing and applying for the PRSPO award (business excellency award in the Republic of Slovenia)||X||X||X|
|6||Writing and applying to EQA (European Quality Award)||►|
Up until 2010, FOS’s operating plan in improving quality was based on the self-evaluation indicators from the National Commission for Quality in University and Other Higher Education (NKKVŠ). We upgraded the model of self-evaluation from NKKVŠ to include the CAF (Common Assessment Framework) methodology.
With the closing of NKKVŠ and the start of the new Slovenian Quality Assurance Agency for Higher Education (NAKVIS) from 2011, FOS uses the elements of external evaluations to conduct yearly self-evaluations in accordance o the criteria for accreditation and external evaluation of higher education institutions and study programmes.
Focus on Customers
Customer focus is the central and one of the most important building blocks in FOS's management philosophy. We realize that customers are the primary reasons for our existence and for this reason we try to understand and anticipate their needs and expectations and strive to innovate and to create values for them.
In the process of implementing our study programmes, our customers are our students, the process of research and development activities are project clients, conference participants and readers of our publishing activities. Daily activities of FOS include:
- To understand and learn about all our customers, responding to their various needs and expectations and to anticipate them as well
- To create and maintain a dialogue with all customers that is based on openness and transparency
- To strive towards innovation and creation of value for its customers
- To provide our employees with the needed approaches, skills, information and authorization to acquire as much experience with customer service.
- To continually monitor and review the experience and perception of customers and to quickly and effectively respond to feedback.
- Customers that are included in the development of new innovative programs, services, and experiences.
- To compare our performance with the best business organizations (higher education institutions and business excellence organizations) to understand our strengths and to create maximum value for our customers
Our competitive advantage in comparison to other higher education institutions is in our constant focus and authenticity with our customers, and the tendency to exceed their expectations. We realize that the customer is the ultimate assessor of the quality of our work and in our strategic orientations we also included our intention to systematically monitor student satisfaction and satisfaction of our research and development activities.