WE ARE THE PROUD RECIPIENTS OF THE ISO 9001 and ISO/IEC 27001 CERTIFICATE
We are one of the first higher education institutions in Slovenia that had its quality management certified according to the requirements of the ISO 9001 and ISO/IEC 27001 standard. At the same time, we created an innovative model of quality control at FOS. It improves the efficiency of its activities and in particular the satisfaction of our students. We are constantly improving the model and also offer it to other faculties, colleges and universities. Our next step is aimed at pacing the requirements of the EFQM model of excellence and thus to exceed the expectations of our students.
Continuous Improvement as a Commitment by the Leadership of FOS
FOS recognizes its mission in education and knowledge transfer of which quality is the decisive foundation towards excellence in all areas. To achieve this mission and contribute to a knowledge based society, we would like to integrate the principles of contemporary paradigms of quality and excellence into our daily work routines. The system of leadership at FOS is based on the fundamentals of the new organizational paradigm:
- Focus on customers (students). At FOS we realize that customers are the primary reason for our existence. For this reason we try to understand and anticipate their needs and expectations, striving to innovate and create value for our students
- Achieving balanced results. FOS implements its mission and progress towards its vision with planning and achieving a balanced array of results that meets the short and long term needs of our stakeholders and when appropriate to exceed them.
- Leadership with vision, inspiration and integrity. FOS wants to have leaders that co-create our future, to realize and be an example of our values and ethics.
- Management by processes. Management at FOS is conducted in structural and strategically coordinated processes and decisions based on facts that creates balanced and sustainable results.
- Achieving success with employees. FOS values its employees and creates a culture of empowerment to achieve balanced goals of our organization and employees.
- Encouraging creativity and innovation. At FOS we try to generate greater value anda higher level of business results with consistent and systematic innovations and exploiting our stakeholder’s creativity.
- Creating partnerships. FOS seeks, develops, and maintains relationships based on trust with various partners and seeks to ensure mutual success. Such partnerships are established with consumers, society, key suppliers, educational institutions or non-governmental organizations (NGOs).
- Taking responsibility for a sustainable future. FOS incorporates into its culture a code of ethics, clear values and the highest standards of its actions. This allows us to strive for economic, social and environmental sustainability.
Long-Term Plans in Improving Quality at FOS
The route of FOS's quality is firmly based on the long-term plan to improve the quality that we have developed and presented in 2008 in the accreditation of our institute.
In the first phase we implemented in 2010 the self-assessment in accordance with the criteria identified by the National Commission for Quality in University and Other Higher Education (NKKVŠ) that evaluates institutions, study programmes and scientific research, artistic and professional work. This was followed by a very important phase in creating FOS's strategic plan for the period of 2009-2014. Simultaneously we started with initial activities in integrating requirements of the ISO 9001 standard that within two years led FOS to obtain the certificate of quality.
In the next stage we will carry out the integration of the remaining requirements of the EFQM excellence models. We will carry this out in steps, where the initial approach will be self-assessment with a questionnaire, then the approach of writing and completing the application for the PRSPO award (the business excellency award in the Republic of Slovenia). After several years of participation in the national award for excellency, FOS will be a candidate for the European Quality Award (EQA).
Long-term plan of improving quality at FOS:
|Step||Activities||Year of implementation|
|1||Self-evaluation in accordance with NKKVŠ||X|
|2||Defining the strategic plan and values of the organizational culture of FOS||X||X|
|3||Certificate of quality ISO 9001||X||X|
|4||Self-assessment in accordance to EFQM||X||X||►|
|5||Writing and applying for the PRSPO award (business excellency award in the Republic of Slovenia)||X||X||X|
|6||Writing and applying to EQA (European Quality Award)||►|
Up until 2010, FOS’s operating plan in improving quality was based on the self-evaluation indicators from the National Commission for Quality in University and Other Higher Education (NKKVŠ). We upgraded the model of self-evaluation from NKKVŠ to include the CAF (Common Assessment Framework) methodology.
With the closing of NKKVŠ and the start of the new Slovenian Quality Assurance Agency for Higher Education (NAKVIS) from 2011, FOS uses the elements of external evaluations to conduct yearly self-evaluations in accordance o the criteria for accreditation and external evaluation of higher education institutions and study programmes.
Focus on Customers
Customer focus is the central and one of the most important building blocks in FOS's management philosophy. We realize that customers are the primary reasons for our existence and for this reason we try to understand and anticipate their needs and expectations and strive to innovate and to create values for them.
In the process of implementing our study programmes, our customers are our students, the process of research and development activities are project clients, conference participants and readers of our publishing activities. Daily activities of FOS include:
- To understand and learn about all our customers, responding to their various needs and expectations and to anticipate them as well
- To create and maintain a dialogue with all customers that is based on openness and transparency
- To strive towards innovation and creation of value for its customers
- To provide our employees with the needed approaches, skills, information and authorization to acquire as much experience with customer service.
- To continually monitor and review the experience and perception of customers and to quickly and effectively respond to feedback.
- Customers that are included in the development of new innovative programs, services, and experiences.
- To compare our performance with the best business organizations (higher education institutions and business excellence organizations) to understand our strengths and to create maximum value for our customers
Our competitive advantage in comparison to other higher education institutions is in our constant focus and authenticity with our customers, and the tendency to exceed their expectations. We realize that the customer is the ultimate assessor of the quality of our work and in our strategic orientations we also included our intention to systematically monitor student satisfaction and satisfaction of our research and development activities.