Postgraduate Study Programme - 3rd Cycle (PhD Degree) Quality Management
Fundamental Objectives of the Third Cycle PhD Degree
The PhD programme provides students with an in-depth understanding of theoretical and methodological concepts as well as skills to independently develop new knowledge and solve demanding problems in testing and improving existing explanations and discovering new solutions to manage the most demanding work systems and scientific research projects within a broad professional and academic field and the development of critical reflection. A compulsory component of these programmes is also original or applied research tasks.
The fundamental aim of the postgraduate doctoral degree third cycle study programme in Quality Management is to ensure to the doctoral student the continuous self-transcendence and identification of paradigm shifts and the ability to design contemporary innovative concepts and approaches intended for the improvement of quality of life of individuals, organizations, and communities. During the study process, students can select among different fields of research. Based on the elective course and the topic of their thesis, students can currently gain the doctoral title in the field of Quality Management, Development Management, Tourism Management, Information and Communication Technologies Management, European Studies and Military Studies.
As part of the doctoral studies, PhD students use their previously acquired knowledge and competencies to gain a more in-depth and contemporary knowledge on the fundamental building blocks of an integrated balance of sustainable development (networks, cyclical, solar energy, partnerships, diversity, dynamic balance ...).
The postgraduate doctoral study in Quality Management is designed to educate PhD students for research work mainly in scientific research and teaching activities, as well as research and professional work in the commercial and non-commercial sectors and public administration.
According to the learning outcomes, the study program is classified into 10th level of the Slovenian Qualifications Framework (SQF), 8th level of the European Qualifications Framework (EQF) and the 3rd level of the Qualifications Frameworks in the European Higher Education Area (QF-EHEA).
In January 2020, the updated curriculum of the Third Cycle PhD Degree in Quality Management was adopted, which will be implemented from the academic year 2020/2021 and will apply to newly enrolled students.
Existing students who make regular progress will be able to complete the study program according to the old curriculum, but may choose to complete the study according to the new curriculum. In this case, they will receive a notice from the Students Affairs Office about the obligations they have to complete in order to complete their studies under the new curriculum.
The rest of the students will complete the study program according to a new curriculum.
The programme lasts three years and is divided into six semesters. It is awarded with 180 ECTS. The first semester is designed to provide a theoretical and methodological depth of prior knowledge that provides an opportunity to introduce doctoral studies. The second semester is designed to prepare the doctoral dissertation (thesis) proposal. The third and fourth semesters are devoted to individual work of the doctoral dissertation with the assistanceof a mentor and a possible co-mentor. In the fifth semester, a seminar is provided for the preparation of the dissertation, in which doctoral students present a draft of their dissertation and receive guidance for further editions. In the sixth semester the doctoral dissertation is completed.
|1||A||Research Methodology 3
|2||C||Elective course - theoretical||15|
|3||A||Seminar for Dissertation Proposal||15|
|4||A||Individual Work on the Dissertation Proposal||15|
|1||A||Individual Work on the Dissertation 1||55|
|2||A||Seminar for Dissertation 1||5|
|1||A||Seminar for Dissertation 2||10|
|2||A||Individual Work on the Dissertation 2||50|
|1||C||New Paradigms of Organization Theories||15|
|2||C||New Paradigms of Innovation and Excellence||15|
|3||C||New Paradigms of Sustainable Development||15|
|4||C||New Paradigms of Destination Management||15|
|5||C||New Paradigms of the Development of the Europe||15|
A - compulsory course
C - elective course
IW - individual work
Students in the third cycle PhD Degree programme in Quality Management will acquire the following general competencies:
- The ability to identify a given research problem, its analysis and possible explanations/solutions.
- The ability to recognize paradigm shifts and to design contemporary innovative concepts and approaches designed to improve the quality of life of individuals, organizations, and communities.
- The ability to apply and use standard methods, procedures and processes of research to the field of quality and excellence.
- Ability to use theoretical knowledge in practice.
- Autonomy in one’s own professional research work.
- Commitment to professional ethics.
Students in the third cycle PhD Degree programme in Quality Management will acquire and grasp the following subject-specific competencies:
- Ability to design and implement original scientific answers to problems and opportunities in the area of quality and excellence.
- The ability of solving original and concrete research problems in various areas of quality and excellence, and its related disciplines.
- The development of new skills and abilities in a specific area of research and/or in the area of quality and excellence and related disciplines.
- Ability to develop new methods of empirical research quality and excellence and its related disciplines (econometric modelling, decision theory, empirical marketing research).
- The ability to present obtained scientific research results in the form of publications in international scientific journals.