Postgraduate Study Programme – 2nd Cycle Quality Management
Fundamental Objectives of the Second Cycle Master's Degree in Quality Management
The aim of the second cycle Master’s Degree programme in Quality Management is providing students with the internalisation of fundamental building blocks of contemporary quality and excellence paradigms as well as providing the knowledge and skills that will ensure them with a wide range of competences required for managing quality and excellence.
After completion of the second cycle postgraduate study programme (Master’s degree), students are trained for independent management of organizational units, entrusted with the responsibility for development, deployment, and continuous improvement of quality systems and with that animating organizational development to superior quality and excellence.
It will also mean the need to internalise the concept of autopoiesis in reference to quality management and excellence based on the spiralling order of planning, doing, checking, and acting (Deming’s PDCA cycle).
A crucially important emphasis will be given on understanding contemporary approaches, models, and tools used by exemplary organizations in their daily practices. Students will be able to deepen knowledge with a critical assessment of given content, identification of the fundamental building blocks and concepts with the aim of finding synergistic effects, integration and improvement in an overall business model.
According to the learning outcomes, the study program is classified into 8th level of the Slovenian Qualifications Framework (SQF), 7th level of the European Qualifications Framework (EQF) and the 2nd level of the Qualifications Frameworks in the European Higher Education Area (QF-EHEA).
In January 2020, the updated curriculum of the Second Cycle Master's Degree in Quality Management was adopted, which will be implemented from the academic year 2020/2021 and will apply to newly enrolled students.
Existing students who make regular progress will be able to complete the study program according to the old curriculum, but may choose to complete the study according to the new curriculum. In this case, they will receive a notice from the Students Affairs Office about the obligations they have to complete in order to complete their studies under the new curriculum.
The rest of the students will complete the study program according to a new curriculum.
The programme lasts two years and is divided into four semesters. It is awarded with 120 ECTS. The total study workload includes fifteen courses, consisting of ten compulsory courses and five elective. The study concludes with a Master’s thesis.
|1||A||Contemporary Approaches to Quality and Excellence
|2||A||Research in Organizational Sciences||6|
|3||A||Research Methodology 2
|4||A||Sustainable Global Marketing||6|
|5||A||Leadership and Organizational Culture||6|
|6||A||Strategies and Processes of Organization||6|
|7||A||Inovation and Creativity||6|
|8||A||Contemporary Organization Theory||6|
|9||C||Elective Course 1
|10||C||Elective Course 2||6|
|1||A||Master Research Seminar||6|
|2||A||Management Information Systems
|3||C||Elective Course 3
|4||C||Elective Course 4
|5||C||Elective Course 5
* Choice based on personal preference.
|3||C||Learning Organizations and Knowledge Management||6|
|5||C||Quality of Life||6|
|6||C||Quality and Excellence in Tourism||6|
|7||C||Quality and Excellence in Healthcare||6|
|8||C||Quality and Excellence in Public Administration||6|
|9||C||Quality and Excellence in Education||6|
|11||C||New Tourism Paradigms||6|
|12||C||Marketing for Hospitality and Tourism||6|
|13||C||Tourism Destination Management||6|
|16||C||European administrative and legal framework||6|
|17||C||EU institutions and processes||6|
|18||C||European business environment and management practices||6|
|19||C||Project Practicum II||6|
A - compulsory course
C - elective course
IW - individual work
Students in the second cycle Master’s Degree programme in Quality Management will acquire the following general competencies:
- Understanding and respecting the diversity of the global organizational environment, implementation and continuous improvement of overall quality and business excellence.
- Knowledge and understanding of social, organizational, and inter-organizational processes and ability for complex analysis.
- Skills to identify needs for change and its application.
- Using methodological tools, i.e., implementation, coordination, and organization of research, using various research methods and techniques.
- The ability of critical assessment in the selection, application, and improvement of contemporary approaches, models, and tools for quality and excellence.
- Ability to formulate original ideas, concepts and solutions to specific issues.
- Coherent management of fundamental skills, the ability to integrate knowledge from various fields that are based on quality and business excellence.
- The development of communication skills and abilities to communicate with different environments.
- Ability for teamwork, i.e., willingness to collaborate, cooperate, respecting the opinions of others and completing the designated task within the team and group.
- Knowledge of professional ethics, laws, recognition, and respect for moral and ethical values and principles to their application at work.
- The ability to present acquired fundamental knowledge and research findings in the form of project work, applied and/or developmental research paper or professional article.
- The ability to educate and undertake mentoring work in promoting quality and business excellence.
- The competency to take responsibility for professional development and learning, improving one’s own work through evaluations with a view to self-transcend, and as such,the continuous improvement of quality and excellence.
- Ability to connect and develop partnerships with all stakeholders to achieve sustainable development.
- Ability to critically use ICT and develop digital competences domestically and internationally.
Students in the second cycle Master’s Degree programme in Quality Management will acquire the following subject-specific competencies:
- Internalising the concept of autopoiesis in reference to quality management and excellence founded on the spiralling order of planning, doing, checking, and acting.
- Internalising the fundamental building blocks of contemporary paradigms of quality and excellence.
- Ability to focus on the needs of current and potential consumers, products, and services to increase loyalty.
- The capability to develop a mutually beneficial relationship with partners based on trust, knowledge sharing, and integration.
- The ability to direct the creative capacities of staff and personnel that are based on shared values and a culture of trust and empowerment that encourages inclusion for everyone.
- Managing the design and continuous improvement of a process-oriented organization that is based on processes and facts.
- The ability to direct and exchange knowledge within a culture of continuous learning, innovation, and improvement.
- Internalisation of behaviour that creates clarity and unity of purpose within the organization as well as in the environment within which the organization and its employees demonstrate excellence.
- The ability for social responsible actions on the basis of ethics and exceeding expectations and norms of the general society as a whole.
- The ability to focus on results with the aim of meeting the needs of all stakeholders involved.
- The ability and skills to solve concrete work-related problems using scientific methods and procedures.
- The ability to use the broad knowledge base in the area of quality and business excellence, as well as research methodology and its interdisciplinary applications.
- Understanding and the application of critical analysis methods and development of theories and their applications in problem-solving in the area of quality and business excellence.
- Developing skills and abilities in using knowledge from the area of quality and business excellence.
- In-depth knowledge and understanding of organizations and processes in the contemporary business environment.
- The application of selected approaches, models and tools in the field of quality and business excellence.
- Ability to use information and communication technologies and systems in the field of quality and business excellence.
- Organizational and leadership skills to guide tasks and work in the organization.
- Qualification for consultancy work (knowledge transfer).